Sunday 8 February 2015

Are Spirem's Real?


Are Spirems Real?

This question was asked by a young reader.  It is rarely asked, and I think it’s because it is assumed that I made spirems up.  

Which I did – to a certain extent, however, spirems are real ‘things’.

It is a science word.  It’s also the concept I discuss in this week’s episode of Reel Time with A J McMarson.



Spirem is the term given to the microscopic (and we are talking XXXXXX times microscopic here) filaments that draw into the first threads of life in a chromosome.  Oddly, I did not come across this term until the story had been completed.  Great – I found the missing link to the Star Ways.  Not so great that I had yet ‘ANOTHER’ rewrite on my hands!

What excited me most was that scientist can view life at such close range – lucky them, but we’ve got the pictures:
 (http://www.sci.muni.cz/ptacek/CYTOLOGIE6.htm)




There is a spirem in there somewhere!

How do I get stars out of that?!!!

I know I was seeing stars when I was trying to link the two concepts together.  The tiniest objects know to humankind, to the largest.  There had to be a connection.  I wanted my main character to be a real star but she also had to be very human. It really came down to ‘matter’.  Which we are all made of.

What I discovered was that the motion of the stars and the matter of a real spirem are relatable.  Thus my superhero was created, and she comes with a whole galaxy of heroes – some super, some just like you and me, real and full of cosmic wonder.



For further information on spirem meaning: https://www.wordnik.com/words/spireme


Jasmine Neutron Star is the first book of the Star Ways Chronicles.  It is a novel most suitable for young adult and teenager readers of speculative, fantasy / science fiction, urban fantasy.  It is a humorous account of Jasmine’s first adventure into the world of light – Quanta.  She is a spirem – a new kind of superhero – and perfect for the sphere of Terra.


You can learn more about AJ McMarson by visiting her website:



No comments:

Post a Comment